All the candidates have now been announced. In my constituency, Sheffield Central the following are standing.
- Alison Clare Teal – Green Party
- Barry Edmund James – Independent
- Chris Marsden – Socialist Equality Party
- Colin Arthur Ross – Liberal Democrats
- Jack Patrick Carrington – Yorkshire Party
- Janice Silvester-Hall – Conservative Party
- Paul Christopher Blomfield – Labour Party
- Paul John Ward – Brexit Party
If you want to find out who is standing in your constituency click here.
I will keep you informed of any hustings I hear about. Please visit them and ask the candidates about the climate emergency.
To ensure the survival of our species we have to make this the climate election. I have written to all my candidates and asked the following questions. I will keep you posted with their replies. Feel free to copy and paste the questions and send them to your candidates.
Dear Sheffield Central Candidates
In a forthcoming column in the Sheffield Telegraph, I wish to compare the Sheffield Central candidates and parties opinions relating to the climate emergency. Please, will you answer the following questions? Please explain in each case what your parties policy is and if you disagree with your parties policy please explain this. Please reply by 28th November to ensure your views are included in the article.
- Do you support Extinction Rebellion’s first demand, which is “Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.”?
- Do you support Extinction Rebellion’s second demand, which is “Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero by 2025?”
- Do you support Extinction Rebellion’s third demand which is “Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice”?
- Do you support a levy on frequent flyers?
- Do you support the introduction of carbon rationing?
- Do you support the expansion of airports, particularly Robin Hood Airport?
- Do you support the construction of HS2?
- Do you support further road building programmes in the UK?
- We are currently experiencing the 6th mass extinction of species. How will your policies reverse this and start to increase biodiversity?
- How will your policies improve local public transport and facilities for cyclists and pedestrians?
- Have your party calculated a carbon budget to ensure your policies will enable the country to reach zero carbon by the date specified in your manifesto?
- How will your policies help those unfortunate enough to have to leave their homes, due to flood, drought, forest fire, tornado or other extreme weather?
- How will your policies encourage people to eat less meat and dairy and move towards a plant-based diet?
- How will your policies encourage households to switch from gas boilers to renewable methods such as air source heat pumps?